Reports to: Manager Global Engineering Centre
Location: Arnhem, NL (or Hull, UK)
Travel Requirements: Regular travel (ca. bi-monthly frequency) will be required.
If based in Hull, expected to be 1 – 2 weeks per month in Arnhem in the beginning and thereafter once a month
If based in Arnhem – Travel will be intermittent until plant is up and running
Accsys Technologies PLC is a fast-growing business with a purpose: changing wood to change the world. We combine chemistry, technology and ingenuity to make high performance wood products that are extremely durable and stable, opening new opportunities for the built environment. By doing so, we give the world a choice to build sustainably.
Accsys transforms fast-growing, certified sustainable wood into durable, stable, non-toxic wood products with characteristics that match or better those of man-made, intensely resource-depleting and heavily carbon-polluting alternative building materials.
Our Accoya® wood manufacturing facility is in Arnhem, the Netherlands, and Accsys is also expanding in other locations. Our next plant will be at the Saltend site in Hull, UK, where the company is building and will soon be operating the world’s first Tricoya® production plant. Accsys also recently announced the formation of a joint venture with Eastman Chemical Company with the intention of building an Accoya® production facility in the USA.
Main Job Purpose / Role Summary
The Global Process Safety Manager will be part of the Global Engineering Centre and be the leading expert in the field of process safety for all Accsys manufacturing sites. Accountable for the implementation, management, and continuous improvement of the Process Safety Management program for Accsys across the various locations, i.e. creating proposals for policies, requirements, standards, procedures, tools and templates to structurally implement and continuously improve process safety.
Also supporting Accsys sites globally in PSM execution, e.g. capability building and training, support and lead hazard studies, project reviews, etc.
- Governance of PSM: leading expert in the field of process safety for all Accsys manufacturing sites.
- Develop policies, requirements, standards, procedures, tools and templates to structurally implement and continuously improve process safety.
- Work closely with Site Engineering teams, HSE, Operations and other departments to drive process safety management.
- Provide process safety engineering guidance
- Provide guidance, attend and lead hazard studies, design reviews, etc. upon request
- Support the Accsys Global Engineering and HSE vision & strategy to achieve leading performance.
- Develop proposals for relevant company direction as well as targets and KPIs for process safety.
- Develops in close collaboration with Accsys Learning & Development the agenda for professional development in process safety for Engineering, HSE, and Operations employees. Coaching and training of employees.
- Support and participates in internal and external safety audits. Executes process safety audits at sites
- Monitor legislative requirements and pro-actively implement in process safety management strategies and procedures
- Collaborate with site operations leadership and engineers to scope capital improvement projects to improve process safety.
- Collect and analyse process safety KPIs, providing results to the Site Leadership Teams to help assess effectiveness of our PSM programs.
- Interface with regulatory agencies as it relates to PSM, as needed.
- Lead Process Hazard Analysis and Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA) to meet internal Accsys Group standards and external regulatory schedule requirements while providing necessary documentation, completing management reviews and issuing reports within established deadlines.
- Ensure PHA/HazOp participants (or other facilitators) are appropriately trained. Coach and support individuals on the methodologies, tools, and practices used to conduct PHAs/HazOps. Review results of PHAs/HazOps for quality and thoroughness.
- Assist with addressing needs for Safety Instrumented Systems documentation, Safety Integrity Level scenario analysis and Functional Safety Assessments.
- Lead safety studies for new projects and work with site engineers to ensure effectiveness and consistency of PHA’s and LOPA’s.
- Support PHA/LOPA action item holders in the evaluation and review process to ensure alignment with site policies and procedures.
- Support project managers and site teams to define resources, schedules, and associated activities required to complete risk assessments (PHAs, LOPAs).
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in chemical engineering or other engineering discipline.
- Master’s degree or safety certification(s) preferred.
- Hazard Analysis Leader Certification
- Knowledge & Experience
- >7 years of experience in process safety in the chemical industrial or equivalent.
- Experience in working in Process Safety Management in a multi-national environment
- Operations, engineering or maintenance experience
- Competencies, Skills & Attributes
- Strong theoretical and practical experience in process safety.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills with the ability to execute and follow through;
- Ability to drive continuous improvement of processes, policies, standards;
- Strong planning, organization and problem-solving skills;
- Able to work in an inclusive way and to build and maintain professional relationships with business and function stakeholders;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, result oriented, negotiation, problem solving, project management, confident, enthusiastic;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong influencing skills;
- Ability to perform trainings.
- Excellent verbal and written English language skills.
- Excellent verbal and written Dutch language skills is a plus.
This job description must not be interpreted as a complete summary of job responsibilities or limitation of job holder accountability. This job description should be recognised as a general requirement of experience combined with attributes considered advantageous to the successful operation of activities.
How to apply:
Please send your CV on email with covering note, stating which role you are applying for, to [email protected]