The Technology Researcher for Tricoya Technologies Limited (‘TTL’) will help develop the potential of Tricoya acetylated wood elements as a sustainable building material ingredient for the production of high performance, stable and durable wood panel products. They will do this by performing lab-based and on-location technology research, and supporting the Tricoya business with a good understanding of the requirements and limitations of industrial production.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Conducting lab, pilot and industrial-sized equipment tests and trials, as required from time to time, on wood, acetic acid, acetic anhydride and other substances and materials at the research facilities in Arnhem in support of the Tricoya technology and its projects, to confirm the feasibility and design data required for the design of industrial projects.
- Attending testing trials at vendor equipment facilities to verify scale-up of lab processes. Liaising with vendors on the design and planning of these tests to ensure that the results will be relevant to TTL’s needs.
- Understanding wood panel production process and attending trials at wood panel producers to verify performance of Tricoya® acetylated wood elements.
- Assisting in support and troubleshooting of operation and quality for the Tricoya industrial operating plants (belonging to Tricoya Technologies Limited’s affiliates and licensees).
- Supporting the scale-up of technology from lab or pilot facilities to industrial scale.
- Conducting fundamental research in support of longer-term improvement of production processes and development of the quality and applications of Tricoya® wood panel, Tricoya® acetylated wood element products and any by-products.
- Continuously improving aspects of sustainability and environmental performance; working with the engineering team to minimise any emissions and effluent from industrial production processes; studying and understanding the principles of circular economy, global warming, sustainability and applying this to continuously help improve the processes and products of the company.
- Performing comparison testing on other commercial construction materials in the market.
- Working with product sales, development and engineering teams, business development teams, and provide support and training to licensees
- Liaising with third parties (e.g. universities, external labs) to progress the requirements for the company while protecting its intellectual property.
- Performing testing to support formulation of patents and inventions
- Becoming TTL’s ‘wood expert’ on behaviour and characteristics of different wood species including those not locally grown in Europe
- Documenting all research, vendor, panel, pilot and lab tests in well organised reports and structures.
- Providing support in recruitment, supervision and training of secondees/student as well as lab technicians of future Tricoya production plants.
- Providing technology support to the Tricoya its affiliates’ project teams during the front-end engineering design (FEED), execution (detailed engineering, procurement and construction), lab setup, training and commissioning of new industrial Tricoya projects.
- Actively and visibly supporting HSEQ policies.
Qualifications and Experience:
- MSc Degree in Chemistry/Process Engineering
- Strong background in R&D, with solid mindset to engineering feasibility work and final end-use of products
- Independence in performing lab experiments and hands-on experience in a broad range of analysis techniques and lab equipment
- Upscaling experience: experience in translating the lab/pilot experiments into functional plant preliminary design
- Good understanding of industrial equipment and processes
- Experience in a vast range of laboratory techniques relating to organic and inorganic chemistry
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Good understanding and sensitivity to protection of intellectual property
- Good understanding of distillation principles
- Experience in the commercial scale industry
- Experience in performing tests for, and formulating patents
- Good understanding of environmental regulations and tests required to confirm compliance
Skills and Attributes
- Accuracy in testing work and attention to detail
- A pragmatic approach to obtaining the required answers to stated questions/problems
- Good interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with an ability to work with people across a diversity of cultures
- Excellent organisational and follow-up skills.
- Competent in problem solving, planning and decision making
- Good team player and ability to work independently
- Ability to maintain focus whilst managing numerous work-related deadlines
- Ability to mentor and guide students in their temporary assignments for the company
Dedication to Safety and Quality
- Good HSEQ awareness and commitment.
- Committed to achieve and maintain the required quality and safety; sets high standards for their own performance.
- The role will be based in Arnhem, The Netherlands. The role will require travel, mainly to the UK production plant but also to other locations e.g. equipment vendor locations and new production plants potentially worldwide.
- Approximately 10% time spent at other locations.
- Possess the necessary enthusiasm, desire to succeed and discipline to achieve significant results for the organisation.
- Resilient, optimistic and open to change.
- A self-starter, motivated and able to positively motivate others.
- Focused and target driven with a positive, can-do attitude.
- Keen interest to learn.
Ability to Deliver-on-Time
The interface with other parts of the project requires the ability to focus and to deliver results according to the project timeframe.
About Tricoya Technologies Ltd (‘TTL’)
Tricoya Technologies Ltd is part of Accsys, responsible for the ‘Tricoya’ acetylated wood elements part of the business. It is currently providing technology for the first Tricoya® production plant in Hull, Saltend site and is producing design packages for future projects worldwide.
Tricoya® wood elements (www.tricoya.com) are produced using TTL’s proprietary technology for the acetylation of wood chips, and particles for use in the fabrication of panel products such as medium density fibreboard and particle-board. These products demonstrate enhanced durability and dimensional stability which allow them to be used in a variety of applications that were once limited to tropical hardwood or man-made products.
How to apply:
Send your CV by email with a covering note, stating which role you are applying for, to [email protected].