Accsys offers the world a choice to build more sustainably, and we are committed to improving the positive impact we can make in the world, and in Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) areas.
Read more about Accsys’ activities, strategy and performance in sustainability and ESG here and in our published reports and documents.
Sustainability is not just a trend, it is a global imperative. Accsys – our people, our technology, and the products we create – has had this at heart for years. We know that what we offer is a more sustainable option for developing the built environment, that our products are grown from renewable sources, that they sequester carbon and lock it in to a useful, recyclable and non-toxic building material.
We know that our products not only offer competitive advantages compared with other materials, but also open new opportunities and enable creative, innovative design and construction – all while fitting into a sustainable circular economy bio-cycle, reducing embodied carbon costs, and without risking environmental contamination through the leaching of chemicals or microplastic pollution.
That is why we feel a responsibility – an obligation – to fulfil our purpose: “Changing wood to change the world.”
Our approach to sustainability
In November 2020 Accsys published its first Sustainability Report. Looking back at performance in FY2020 with an increased focus on transparency and data, the report also marked the launch of a restructured and more formalised approach to sustainability for the future.
The foundation of this is the Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) framework of 10 material issues aligned to Accsys’ purpose, and how these issues contribute to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Supported by increased resources and improved organisational effectiveness, our approach to these issues is a core part of both our purpose and our integrated business and growth strategy.
Our contribution to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Our main contributions focus on SDGs 9, 11, 12, 13 and 15, as these areas are where our business can have the most meaningful impacts:
Aside from these targeted areas, the strong sustainability performance of our business and product also align with a broader group of SDGs:
Delivering on our purpose
‘Changing wood’ is what we do, and ‘to change the world’ is why we do it: to have a positive impact on a global scale.
This year, we have further developed our approach, processes and action plans for our material issues, with particular focus on improving measurement, monitoring, reporting and management of performance.
In addition to our Sustainability Report, material issue matrix and ESG framework, we have:
- Expanded data capture and improved management systems and processes to ensure the continued improvement and accuracy of data
- Formalised our approach and good governance of issues with the formation and commencement of the ESG Committee and recruitment of a dedicated ESG Manager
- Increased reporting scope and transparency, including reporting to established global reporting frameworks GRI and SASB
- Integrated additional ESG factors into employees’ Objectives and Key Results and Executive Remuneration
- Created a new cross-cutting ESG and Sustainability risk category in our risk register
- Commenced review of climate risk and opportunities in alignment with the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosure (TCFD)
We are accelerating progress on our ESG and sustainability roadmap, and we are proud to have achieved so much already in FY2021. While we celebrate our achievements, we recognise that this is a journey and there is always more that can be done, and more to aim for. A selection of our focus
areas for FY2022 include:
- Building on robust governance processes
- Continuing to build on performance reporting and monitoring systems with improved data capture and management
- Developing ambitious, realistic targets for top material issues based on confirmed data
- Continuing to assess and meet current and upcoming trends and best practices
- Building on our role in the built environment through growth in provision of our sustainable and quality products to the market, supported by the best sustainability standards and accreditations
- In our 2021 Annual Report we describe our approach, key highlights, metrics, and next steps for each of our key material issues, as seen in our ESG Framework
- More information and detail is also available in our Annual Report, in our SASB and GRI Content Index, and queries can be directed to [email protected].
Our Corporate Vision
We want to ensure that our business is not only a commercial success, but also run in a responsible fashion as we continue to advance technologies for a better world.
The approach we are taking is to ensure that ESG and sustainability are not simply ‘additional’ factors or considerations, but meaningful and integrated with our business.
We continue to have a strong focus on responsible sourcing and product sustainability: 100% of our products are made from FSC® certified sustainable wood from well-managed forests and 100% of our key materials suppliers are screened against social and environmental criteria.
Our annual increases in sales volumes means that more sequestered CO2 than ever before is safely stored in our products, for decades ahead.